Turbo Trainer Danger...!

Ok, so, those of you who are following my Fitness Channel over on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/signaturephotog?feature=mhee) will no doubt know that I am trying to get fit so I can get into competitive cycling next year... Will it work? I have no idea! Do I stand a chance? Well, I certainly don't if I don't give it a try eh?! 

As part of the fitness regime, I am spending increasing amounts of time on the bike & putting in as many winter 'base miles' as possible. Due to the current inclement weather and following a number of recent accidents involving high profile riders being knocked off by vehicles whilst out training (BBC SPOTY and Tour de France winner Bradley Wiggins being one of them), I decided to take to static training indoors on a Turbo Trainer. Fortunately, I didn't have to invest in one straight away as the Gym at work had bought a couple before we broke up for Christmas; I chanced my arm and asked I I could sign one out to train on every day and voila! My very own Elite Volare Mag to use for a couple of weeks! 

Now, all had been going swimmingly (almost literally if you could see the sweat! :S)... Until 45 minutes into today's sprint interval session! Mid sprint, the bike decided to make a break for it and jumped out of the bolts holing it into the Turbo; sending me, rather elegantly falling sideways with said bike to the floor. The result, carpet burns to the knee, a smell of burning rubber in the flat (where the wheel touched the frame of the Turbo and stopped dead) and a few bent spokes on the back wheel! Nothing too disastrous but it could have been much worse (especially if the spinning wheel had burned through the Landlord's carpet!)... The moral of the story? Well, I guess - be careful when you're on your Turbo Trainer; Even though you're anchored to the ground and it should be difficult for it to all go 'Pete Tong' it still can... And invariably will! 

Needless to say, I collected my thoughts, picked up & checked the bike, re-mounted it on said Turbo properly this time (did the tightening handle up as much as I dared) and finished the session, BOOM! :)

Until next time, take care & ride safely,

Matt

Working hard, before the 'incident'!

Make sure you do the clamps up tight enough! :S

2 comments:

  1. Turbo bike trainer is essential for bicycling. It is help to increase your riding skill. Turbo bike trainer is important for novice bike rider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips but it take more time to read and you can read a retailed content click now.

    ReplyDelete